Friday, March 6, 2009

TomTom Comes Through - Tiger Direct Changes Ads

Blogging and phone calls do have an effect on companies and here's an update on what has transpired in just two days since I wrote the entry regarding the GPS navigator.

First, TomTom honored the free map upgrade that was included with the unit. I did have to scan and send a copy of the receipt with the free map guarantee card to them, and they immediately (withing a few hours) honored the free upgrade to the latest maps, So, I can say:

WAY TO GO TOMTOM!
Good work in stepping up to the plate and doing what's right!

As for Tiger Direct, they removed all references to the refurbished TomTom units having the latest maps installed and any free upgrades included. They did this with all models, so it's pretty clear they got the message. They didn't apologize for their error, nor did they offer anything but for me to send the unit back and then refund. I need the unit so that was not acceptable to me; I'd still have to go find another unit in any case, so TomTom saved the day and the GPS. I'm happy with the outcome.

Still, I'd shy away from Tiger Direct and probably not put them on a high place on my shopping list. True, they did fix the problem on their end, but look at all it took. Talking to two customer service people, filling out two forms, (I noted they wouldn't post my review of the unit as it wasn't complimentary...another sign they likely knew of the problem from others, but I made more noise). And, maybe they caught hell from TomTom besides? Plus, the ads were misleading and who knows, could they have been the basis for action by consumer affairs? I have no idea, but in any case I don't have to deal with them again if I don't wish to.

In any event, don't get taken and remember that TomTom did step forward and do the right thing when it counted. Maybe the blog pushed it along or maybe not but they did do the right thing.

No comments: