Friday, September 17, 2010

FedEx Smart Post ... Not All That Smart for the Customer

Businesses looking to save a few bucks on shipping, while not passing on those savings to the consumer in many cases, are using a service called FedEx Smart Post. This is a service where the shipper sends out the package with FedEx, and then it gets handed off somewhere down the line to the US Postal Service for delivery to your home.

Problem here is that the packages take an inordinate time for delivery. Considering a package coming from the east coast to California, it's not the usual Postal Service delivery time of five to seven days for Parcel Post, not the usual two to three days for Priority Mail, not the usual 5 days for FedEx Ground, not even the usual 7 days for UPS. It's 10 days for Smart Post! And to me, that's Stupid Post at best!

Maybe smart for the shipper, but stupid for the consumer who's waiting for a product. And, in most cases, you don't know your product is being shipped by this system, as the seller tells you it's being shipped FedEx! And you think you're getting a FedEx package with reliable FedEx service. and you're not. You lose the reliability of FedEx and the reliability of the Postal Service all at once.

And, when things get lost, you're really screwed. Because that's when nobody seems to know where the package got ripped, torn or damaged or where the pieces went missing, and the finger pointing starts. I was fortunate the last time and the Post Office found the item later in a bin after the package had been decimated through handling. But by whom? Who knows. Luckily my description was so good they could identify the item and since it was literally one of a kind, I was able to claim it.

So, be aware. When you order FedEx, you may not be getting FedEx service to your door. And, sellers like X10.com don't tell you that it's not really FedEx until you get your shipping info much later. Then it's too late because your order has already been shipped by the slowest method I know of, other than by walking it across America. Even bus service is faster than this!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right. I ordered an item that is being shipped by fedex smartpost. It's still in the initiated phase and has been for almost 3 days?! It's coming from within the same state of NY. The seller ordered free shipping... but what good is it? Not very good. I rather pay for the shipping fees. Usually, I get it the next day if the item is coming from within the same. Thanks for your blog.

All American said...

As an update, it took 8 days from NY to California via SmartPost and even then, it sat in the same city for two days without being delivered because the Post Office said it had been noified to expect it but hadn't received it yet. And, FedEx updated the delivery date to two more days away so it would have made it 10 days because I suppose they didn't think they could get it from their terminal to the post office in the same city in several days, a distance of about a mile! StupidPost it remains!

Anonymous said...

I don't find you to be normal middle class American...I find you to be OLD middle class American. But on this point you are right. Smartpost is a horrible service...I'm still waiting for my package. I ordered it May 4 it shipped may 5th its been in my city since may 10th and today, may 16th, it still hasn't arrived. Its a computer case, which I gave them some grace period cause its bigger than what I normally get shipped, but COME ON.

All American said...

Interesting that I never said I was a "normal" middle class American, You'll not find that in my blog anywhere. Because the "norm" these days has become an apathetic accepting American who does nothing to change things, who seldom votes, and then sits around and bitches about the state of the country. The new "norm" is a taker who wants everything for free, and seems to think that getting is so much more important than giving, especially if it means shedding some sweat, or maybe even blood for the country you live in. In those regards, I'm as abnormal as it gets and proud to be that way.

OLD is a relative term and depends on the user. I'm not old but again, if you're thirty something, I may be old to you. If you're forty something, I'm less old and if you're fifty something I'm still pretty young. If you were seventy, I'd be a kid compared to you so there's that numbers game played with age.

The last Doughboy from World War I, Frank Buckles, was buried at Arlington National Cemetery on March 15 at 110 years old. Frank Buckles wasn't old. Frank Buckles was just a hero!

Jodie said...

I seriously think Fedex Smartpost employees are stealing my packages. I have had two packages in the last month that get to Houston and then the tracking info stops at in transit to the post office in Corpus...the post office never gets the package and no one will do anything to help.

All American said...

I'd try contacting the shipper...the package has TWO tracking numbers on it, both the FedEx and the USPS number and the shipper should have both. The other option is to contact the Postal Inspection Service and report your suspicions to them; they can be found on the USPS web site at www.usps.com

Rather than stealing packages, I'd think they lose more due to the lag in tracking once the packages leave the FedEx system and enter the Post Office system. Seems like that's a giant hole and if things end up there they may eventually show up or they may never be seen again.

teddybear10 said...

I ordered something Friday and checked my order status all weekend and part of this week. Finally on Tuesday the website said it had shipped, but was Not Trackable. I got worried so I called the company and the representative told me it was coming by SmartPost and could come that day or yesterday. I was in doubt but didn't say anything. Hasn't come yet, but I'm giving it a few more days to get to my state. Getting suspicious though.

Anonymous said...

I will not order online from retailers that use this not-so-smart post. My item took 17 days not counting the weekend days to reach me shipped from Dallas TX to Seattle WA. The package toured the USA prior to arriving at the local post office for delivery to my home. I blame the online retailer for offering this BS service to the unsuspecting customer who has no idea they pay for this awful service until shipped.

Anonymous said...

I hear a lot of the problem with SmartPost is that they are like the Walmart of shipping. The employees and low-paid and are over-worked. They make a lot of mistakes both from being in a hurry and from just not caring, because SmartPost is such a terrible outfit to work for.

Anonymous said...

I have a package coming from New Orleans to Kansas so far it's been to Mississippi, Salt Lake city, and Oregon. How dam smart is that?

Anonymous said...

Yep, Smart Post is pretty dumb. The same Fedex truck that delivers to our house goes up the road to the post office with the smartpost bag. Since many rural post offices do not deliver smartpost, we get a notice in our box the next day, then have to burn a half gallon of gas to pick up at the PO. This not only delays delivery by 1-2 days, it's environmentally irresponsible.