Monday, March 4, 2013

Tired of Sales Calls? AARP Sells Your Phone Number!

That retirees organization that so many retirees are now finding out is so far left winged that it can't fly straight has hit upon yet another way to screw the aging populace. It's selling your information.

Yes, you read that right, the AARP is selling your name, address and phone number to vendors of items that fit in with senior mobility and health care. How do I know this? Because today, I received a call from a walk-in bathtub company trying to sell me their products.

When I told the representative I was on a no-call list and they had no right to be calling me, and explained the fine they were incurring by doing so, and that I also have a phone trap that does collect their number, she panicked and called a supervisor to the phone.

The supervisor apologized profusely and promised to take me off their lists, etc. When I demanded to know how they obtained not only my number but my name, she stammered that they were calling on behalf of ...the AARP! And they were simply offering safety and mobility assistance to people who fall into certain age groups. She couldn't tell me what age group or demographics thet were, but I was really angry to think once again, the AARP is screwing seniors to make a buck off their backs.

Wake up, seniors. The AARP is not a helping organization. They want money and power but are not using it to help you! They line their pockets with money from endorsements of various types of insurance and advertising and now they're selling your information, or giving it away and getting paid a royalty on sales. Either way it should be criminal to do so.

Don't trust the AARP. They want to give you the warm fuzzies, but so would peeing in a dark blue wool suit. Quickly it cools off and you feel very uncomfortable. My relationship with the AARP has long cooled off and I don't even have a blue suit!

Check out the Alliance for Retired Americans http://www.retiredamericans.org/

and the Association for Mature American Citizens http://amac.us/

as alternatives to AARP.

AARP is a BILLION dollar company. Interesting that their expenses almost replicate their revenue. Hmm..pretty big executive paychecks out there...

From Guidestar:
Annual Revenue & Expenses
Fiscal Year Starting: Jan 01, 2011
Fiscal Year Ending: Dec 31, 2011
Revenue
Total Revenue$1,224,437,632
Expenses
Total Expenses$1,165,244,846

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm having trouble now. I decided to go to work with AARP. NOW, I'M getting crank phone calls and might be getting investigated by SSI.