Thursday, May 26, 2016

Seat Belts Save Lives

I know many have heard the above phrase, and most people believe in the value of seat belts. But there are still many who believe that a seat belt will not save them in case of an accident. I can tell you from experience on the job, and personal experience they are DEAD WRONG!

First, let me tell you of my own experience. I was struck broadside by a loaded one ton truck moving at 55 miles per hour that ran a stop light. I had just pulled away from a stop light, and had looked left and right, but never saw her coming. It appeared the driver was distracted and had run the light before this one as well. The collision was so violent that it drove me across two lanes of an off ramp and into a light pole that sheared my vehicle almost in half. My vehicle did not have airbags, but my seat belt was securely fastened.

The impact was so great that it knocked my knees together with bone jarring force, crushed my left shoulder, my head struck the side pillar all with an almost knockout blow (air bags would have minimized that) while the vehicle continued across the road to strike the pole. My actual forward speed when the impact occurred was less than 5 miles per hour so all the force was created by the other vehicle. My vehicle, then a new Explorer, was totaled. The engine sheet metal and parts were wrapped around the top of the engine. The vehicle sustained massive damage.

 But what about me?  I survived and when the paramedics arrived they could not believe my injuries were minimal in light of the overall damage. I underwent surgery for a crushed left shoulder and other non-life threatening injuries, but in just a few weeks I was back on the job, albeit on limited duty for about six weeks.  Had I not had on a seat belt, there is absolutely no question I would have died. The seat belt kept me within the protective "cage" of the vehicle and prevented me from flying out.

Some people think that if they were to end up in the water, they would survive better with no seat belt on. Not true. In my experience with actual crashes, people with seat belts on were far more likely to be able to get out of a vehicle that landed in the water than those who were not. A specific case comes to mind where four young people were riding in a vehicle at high speed and went off into a river. Three of the four were not wearing seat belts and perished. The only one who survived was the one passenger wearing a seat belt. After the vehicle hit the water he was able to remove his seat belt and exit the car through a broken window. The other three had been thrown around the vehicle so violently, we believe they were probably all unconscious after the vehicle hit the water.

Fire? Some people have the notion that in case of a fire following a collision they will be better able to escape without a seat belt. No, doesn't work that way since the likely injuries from not wearing your seat belt, unless you were ejected and died on the pavement, would render you unable to exit the vehicle yourself.

There is no good excuse for not wearing your seat belt. Air bags will not preclude you from being ejected, nor will it stop a rear seat passenger from being thrown so violently forward that they break the neck of the driver or front seat passenger. Or at minimum injure them to the extent they can not exit the vehicle after a crash.

And for those who think a seat belt is too confining, sit in a wheelchair for a few days and think again! You could spend the rest of your life in a confining situation.

Accidents happen and now, with more people ignoring safe driving, texting, talking on the phone or other distracted driving issues, they seem to occur more frequently and with more deaths.

Getting a traffic ticket for not wearing your seat belt might be the best wake up call you ever received.  And the cheapest reminder to buckle up. After the accident and perhaps disabled for life is too late. The "Click It or Ticket" campaign is now in effect and law enforcement will be looking for violations. And, hopefully you will be buckled in and enjoying life as it was intended, accident free and long!

Stay Alive. Click it every time you drive.

No comments: